By Guest Blogger Marielle Stroud, who writes about finding jobs, nailing interviews, and building the perfect resume for Resume-Now.
With people across the country out of jobs due to COVID-19 closures, the way people seek employment is changing dramatically. Though a paying job is at the top of the priority list for thousands of Americans right now, it’s important to remember that if possible, you should also consider other factors before accepting an offer.
Specifically, how does the company offering you employment treat their team during this unprecedented time? What are their core values and how are they responding to the coronavirus pandemic?
ResumeNow created an infographic that explores how company values affect employees and how job seekers can evaluate these values to ensure a good fit with their personal beliefs.
Before submitting an application, use NOVA’s values-driven work assessment to discover values that are important to you. Here are a few examples:
• Good balance
• Sense of belonging
• Community involvement
• Environmental awareness
• Equality and diversity
• Honesty and transparency
Work environment values:
• Aesthetically pleasing
• Competitive benefits
• Comfortable income
• Predictable and secure
• Quiet and relaxed
Work content values:
• Public contact
Work relationship values
• Open communication
• Team work
How many of these values are must-haves for you in a potential job? Once you know the answer to this question, you’ll be able to better match yourself up with companies that fit these criteria and model the same values.
Here are a few questions to ask during an interview to be sure you’re the right fit for a company:
- Which core value does the company demonstrate best? Which do they struggle with the most?
- How do you encourage your employees to volunteer?
- Is donation matching available to all employees?
- What sustainability efforts is your company demonstrating?
- What are the top three things that make you proud to work for this company?
- What kinds of flexible work arrangements does the company offer?
- What is the feedback process like?
- What kinds of professional development do you offer?
- How does management support their teams?
Visit here to check out our infographic for more ways to match up your values with a company’s — and to read my full blog.